RE: [oletrucks] Transmission Troubles?

To: "'Joshua Tivis'" <Tivis@pp.okstate.edu>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Transmission Troubles?
From: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:02:11 -0400
Joshua,
        It sounds like an internal sealing leak for the trans, or that the
pump cannot hold onto the "primed" fluid. "Flooring it" will rapidly spin
the pump and refill it. Check for leaks(however its probably internal), is
fluid leaking from the inspection cover? If it is the pump is the connection
between the torque converter and the rest of the trans, its shaft seal could
be shot. My guess is the pump is loosing it's ability to retain fluid for
long periods of time and will eventually not work altogether. The down side
to this is with the pump not staying primed the clutches and other internal
components wear faster. My recommendation is to have the trans rebuilt or
have the pump rebuilt or at the least have a trans shop inspect it.

Jon C. Peters