Re: [oletrucks] Primer...relax!

To: jforbes@primenet.com (J Forbes)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Primer...relax!
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-18745-4470

Jim -
I agree with you and I'd relax too if I lived in Arizona!!  Here in the
midwest they have this stuff they call salt and they throw it all over
the roads for about 4 months every year.  That's why when I found a 50
yr old truck from Arizona it didn't have much rust.
You are correct when you say that moisture will travel thru a coat of
primer but when it has salt dissolved in it the salt stays inside when
the water evaporates out.
In Arizona your primary concern with paint is the intense UV
(ultraviolet) rays from the sun.  UV is the #1 cause for paint failure,
that is why automobile paint samples are sent to Arizona and Florida for
exposure testing by DuPont and PPG and not to North Dakota or Illinois.
Automotive primers are tested in a 100% humidity cabinet and exposed to
a 5% salt solution to check for corrosion resistance.
Your #3 example shows that if you follow the proper procedure you will
have minimal or no problems.  In any case you will doing a better job
than they did in the early 50's.
And yes ... Just have fun!

-
Tom Poterack