[oletrucks] Manual to automatic--It works!!!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Manual to automatic--It works!!!
From: Banjomike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:25:34 EDT
Hi evrybody--

For those of you who have not been following along in this adventure, several
months ago I  made the decision to switch my old original manual transmission
for a T400.  This weekend, finally did all the detail things like adding the
transmission cooler and running hoses to the transmission (next
project--replace cooler hoses with 3/8" brake lines), got a drive shaft,
although I had to have one made because I couldn't find one long enough in
any of our junk yards, charged the battery, connected the starter and took it
for a spin---first out of the garage about 2 feet and then back into the
garage.  Everything seemed to work--no leaks or explosions, so I checked
everything, tightened all bolts, grabbed my cell phone and took a drive on
the freeway.  Absolutely no problems---seems to shift smoothly and run great.
 Have to say though, that it is pretty spooky without the clutch pedal.  All
of a sudden, I feel the need of power disk brakes.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  If anybody is interested in the
original transmission (excellent shape), ping me off the list.  It will be
very reasonable.  I have pictures of the process I will post on my web site
this week in case anybody is interested in what not to do.

Mike Gleeson
'55 2nd longbed
See <A HREF="http:/home.earthlink.net/~mikegleeson/index.html">My Truck</A>