[oletrucks] Rear Mono leaf question

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear Mono leaf question
From: J & M Street <jmstreet@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:25:42 -0700
After 3 months at the shop I finally got rear differential back and
began installation on my '55-2. I got my new mono leafs hung and jacked
the rear end into position, put the wheels on, lowered it down to set
the pinion angle and weld spring perches on top of the housing. My
concern is the spring travel. Even after chopping an inch off of the
rubber bump stops I'm only left with 3 to 3.5 inches of travel. Is this
going to work? I got new gas shocks to install that should stiffen it up
alittle but I'm afraid to weld the perches since the pinion angle might
change if I had to add spacer blocks under the springs. These springs
are the standard eye and not reverse eye. I was told that C-notching the
frame was only required with reverse eye springs. I'd like to be able to
drive over a bump without bottoming out and I never plan on hauling
anything heavier than a 6 pack of beer. Will I be able to get by or
should I add blocks or C-notch? (blocks defeat the purpose and notching
is just a pain) Please help! Thanks, -Jeff

Jeff Street
'55-2 short/step "Streets Rod project"