[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [oletrucks] suburban sending unit question

To: varanus@phoenix.net, oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] suburban sending unit question
From: J & M Street <jmstreet@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:02:34 -0700
I'm assuming the Suburban gas tanks are the same as the panel truck tanks. If
so, this is how I replaced the sending unit on my '54 panel. I bought a pick
up truck sending unit / pickup tube assembly from Chevy Duty. After measuring
the depth of my tank I used a tubing cutter and removed a section ( I forgot
how much, an inch or so) of the pickup tube of the sending unit in order to
shorten it. I then put it back together using a brass compression fitting type
tubing coupler from the local hardware store. Note: when measuring for your
cut make allowance for the length of the coupler. The lower portion of the
tube with the float switch on it can now be rotated  90 degrees to point
towards the center of the tank, tighten the tube fitting ends and viola! you
now have a custom panel/suburban tank sending unit.

Jeff Street
'55-2 short/step (sold the panel) "Street's rod-project"

varanus@phoenix.net wrote:

> Hi:
> I need to get a sending unit for both my 58 napco suburban and my 57
> 2wd suburban.  I was talking with Jim Carters today and they said their
> sending units were only for pickups - not suburbans.  I was under the
> impression that the suburban senders were the same as the trucks.
> Can anyone either clarify or provide a solution?  I am not sure mine are
> actually bad but - for $40 for a new one - I felt this a decent investment
> so i don't have to crawl under and take the tanks out again.
> Please advise.
> EP
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>