Re: [oletrucks] Tail lights

To: Tom3600@webtv.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tail lights
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 18:31:03 PDT
Tom,

Are you talking about where to mount the tail light brackets on the rear
stake pocket?  If so I mounted mine on the forward side of the stake pocket
using the two horizontal holes already there so that the tail light lenses
are just about even with the back of the box.  I am using the original 'Stop
Ray' mounting brackets (BTW I had to manufacture my own right side bracket).
  I think that they were originally mounted on the front side of the stake
pocket, at least that is where I find the brackets on the beds in the bone
yard.   The after market mounting brackets are usually mounted on the back
side of the stake pocket and the light is well behind the box and can be
more easily damaged IMHO.  I guess that Texans (and probably some Canadians)
prefer to mount them this way but not me.  I don't have a rear bumper on yet
and that may dictate where to mount the license plate bracket so that the
plate may be seen.  Maybe you can check out Tom Caperton's 'Pics of my '47
on the Web' at http://www.zing.com/album/?id=424651703.  If you click on the
thumb nail and than click on the next picture it will fill up the whole page
and you can see things in great detail.  They are all great shots and he has
one side view pic.  After viewing this pic it seems that Tom is a
transplanted Texan.  Oh Well!  His pics are still great.

I have purchased two original reproduction tail light
>assemblies and mounting brackets from Chevy Duty.
>There are two sets of mounting bolts and holes on each side of the truck
>under the left and right rear corners of the tailgate.  I can't tell by
>looking at photos if the tail lights mount on the frontside or the
>rearside mounting bolts.  What have you guys seen or done on this?

Durwood
51 1/2 ton 5 window