Re: [oletrucks] paint, repaint

To: dkrehbiel@kscable.com (Deve Krehbiel)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] paint, repaint
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 21:33:48 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-5881-705

Deve -

Every paint has a recoat "window".  Generally speaking its after
tack-free and before 8 hrs. or after 24hrs that it is ok to recoat.
Between 8hrs and before 24hrs the solvent in the recoat paint will
attack the partially cured first coat and cause "lifting and wrinkling".
You are correct when you say repaint when it is still tacky or after it
is through dry.  Generally lacquers do not have a recoat window because
they dry by evaporation not curing like enamel.  When using a catalyst
(hardener) or an acrylic enamel you can recoat after about 16hrs.
All of this depends on the film thickness, the surface and room
temperature and the solvent that you are reducing with.

Tom Poterack
'49 Chevy 3600
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/tom49.jpg

--WebTV-Mail-5881-705