Re: [oletrucks] Grill Bar Repair

To: "Mike Stone" <mrston@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Grill Bar Repair
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:29:26 -0700
Mike Stone wrote:

>   I bought an entire grill for my 50, disassembled, at a swap meet. Is
>there any neat trick for pounding the minor dings and dents in the
>individual bars? I'm not doing well so far.

Mike, the trick to getting out minor dents is to have a dolly or other hard
surface backing  it up, so that when you tap on the dent it doesn't go too
far the other way, but rather, stays flush with the surrounding metal.  You
also want to use as little force as necessary, because if you use too much,
the metal will compress between hammer and dolly and warp.  You can finish
it with a flat file and sandpaper to get a paintably smooth surface.

If the dents are in tight places, you will want to use a flat faced punch to
transfer the hammer blow.  I got a set of little cheap punches from Harbor
Freight that is very useful for jobs like this.

If you absolutely can't reach them, fill them with brass, solder or bondo,
if they're not too deep, and finish with a file / sandpaper.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)