Re: [oletrucks] '53 drive gear

To: <237459N@knotes.kodak.com>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '53 drive gear
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:22:19 -0500
Durwood is very funny, "Is there a 'fifth' under the seat?"

My welcome to the list, also.

Speedo gears are a wide combination of selections.  If you don't already
have a shop manual, get one.  I think it lists some of the common sets for
different tire sizes/rear ratios (not that ½ tons have any selection for
rear ratios-4.11 is it, except for a late market 3.55 set from Patrick's).
Talk to either Patrick's (520-836-1117) or Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts
(816-833-1913) about gear sets (& availability).  If you buy anything from
Jim Carter's, talk to Kelly & mention the list & get a discount.  Either
way, if you change the cable gear enough to require the main shaft gear to
be changed, then you are going to have some extra work separating the
driveshaft from the tranny tail & pulling the gear out of the end of the
tranny.  Changing the cable gear is easy, just pull the cable, pull the
cable receiver plug from the tranny & there's the gear.

Another good source of information is Bob Adler at 518-733-5749 (Days EST).

Lastly, look at the site http://chevytrucks.org/index1.htm for other vendors
& ALL kinds of good tech. info.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh