Re: [oletrucks] Hydra-matic Hop-Up parts available?

To: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hydra-matic Hop-Up parts available?
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 08:53:27 -0700
Dustin,

I have looked at this problem my self. The trouble is that a torque
converter uses a sator to direct the fluid from the driving to the
driven torus, this requires a statonary shaft for the stator to fit on.
The early hydramatics with the fluid coupling have no provision to do this.

Further the power flow in them is reversed the early hydras had the
front gearset driven directly by the engine not through the fluid
coupling. When these transmissions were in 4th gear there was a solid
connection from the flywheel to the driveshaft with no power going
through the fluid coupling.

In many ways they were better transmissions than newer models, but they
would not give you "lay you back in the seat acceleration". Thats not
what they were made for. They would however, give better gas mileage
than a standard trans mission and GMC advertised that for all their
trucks including the semis with the Allisons.

John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL
'49 Chevy 3800 panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck (wishing it had an Allison!)