Re: [oletrucks] Engine ID

To: tigger7@gte.net (Georgianne Legenzoff)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine ID
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:58:49 -0500 (CDT)
--WebTV-Mail-28305-8292

George -

You are right:

CON 1 18 3   Stands for Sept. 18 1953
The first 1 is actually an I(i) which stands for the 9th month  A-L =
Jan-Dec.

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.
'49 Chevy 3600
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/tom49.jpg

--WebTV-Mail-28305-8292

From: "Georgianne Legenzoff" <tigger7@gte.net>
To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine ID
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:50:49 -0500
Sender: owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net

Hi there! My name is Georgianne Legenzoff. I know that's quite a mouth full,
so most of the time I go by George.
"Snuffy" is for the most part a 1950 3100 SB 5 window.

The kid that I bought him from thought it was easier to swap bodies than it
was motors. He told me that he took the '50 body and put it on a '49 frame.
However, none of my casting numbers matched. Boy, was I shocked! ; )

Anyway, I've figured out that the motor is a 1953 235, I think. The head
casting number is # 3701887. Underneath that it says GM-4. What does the
GM-4 mean?
 The number behind the fuel pump is 3701481. I think this tells me that it
should be a '53 block, also.

The only other numbers that I have found so far are the numbers on the right
side behind the starter. I think that tag says CON 1 18 3

Anyway, I'm thrilled to death with my new baby, even if he is kind of an odd
hybrid. That just lets me restify him, and build the truck that I personally
think Chevy should build now, without feeling guilty.

Oh, by the way, the motor runs pretty strong. I only heard it go for a
minute or two, but it is also for sale. When I bought it, he said that it
had been rebuilt not to long ago, but he also said it was a '49. So.......

If I am wrong about any of the numbers, please let me know.

Thanks!

George and Snuffy
50 Chevy 3100 SB
Fort Wayne, IN