[oletrucks] Aux. tranny cooler

To: Trucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Aux. tranny cooler
From: "Edward T. Dingo" <cen36932@centuryinter.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:55:11 -0400
Need some advice...Have a '57 3100, 6 stick, soon to be a 327
w/powerglide. The radiator is 1 1/2 years new. While talking to my local
radiator repair man, looking for some advice, he recommended keeping the
6 radiator and adding a tranny cooler. He said it would be much cheaper
than adding cooler to inside of radiator. Plus, he showed me a factory
tranny cooler from a radiator that he had disassembled. Real small!!!
  He said to figure gvw of the truck (5000 lb. ?) plus travel trailer
that I will be occasionally pulling (1958 Trotwood, 16 ft., wt. is 1758
lbs. according to title). 5000 plus 2000...do I get a cooler for 7000
lbs gvw? This guy has been doing radiators for over 50 years, well known
in the area. Guys at the parts stores shake their heads, say to get the
biggest one they have, like for 1 ton dooleys pulling 5th wheelers.
Bottom line, any one do something similar? How big a transmission cooler
do I get? Thanks for the input people.

Ed
'57 3100, awaiting transplant...