[oletrucks] TF seat and cooling

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] TF seat and cooling
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:54:51 -0700
Karl--

I am familiar with the seat thing...one of my 59s came with the original
seat, with the original covering on it still.  Very uncomfortable, the
padding was mostly all gone!  I expect that whoever put the cover on
yours didn't know about how to pad a seat...you might want to take it to
an upholstery shop and see if they'll pull the cover off and add some
padding to it, then reinstall the cover.  Wouln't hurt to check the
springs also, but they do seem to hold up well in TF seats (unlike 60s
Chevy trucks, where the seat springs are usually broken).

On the cooling...i forgot...how hot did you say it gets?  If you have
the stock gage, don't be too worried if it spends a lot of time near the
hot mark, but if it goes past, then it's probably too hot.  The gages
back then were not set up for full time anti freeze use.  With the
increased boiling point of 50/50 water/antifreeze, and a pressure cap
(7psi is about max for a stock 1950s radiator) you can safely go to 230
degrees or so without it boiling.  If it boils, then you have a
problem...if it doesn't, then you might just try driving it for awhile
and see what happens.

JIm F
59 Fleetsides in AZ