Re: [oletrucks] Re: sad story

To: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: sad story
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:27:07 -0600
J Forbes wrote:

> Yes, that is a sad story...and sobering.
>
> Both the National Street Rod Association and the National Hot Rod
> Association have safety inspections...then NHRA is much more strict, as
> it applies to racing vehicles.  If you have a fast vehicle, it wouldn't
> hurt to take it to a drag strip (or NSRA event, but NSRA is limited to
> 1948 and older vehicles) and get it inspected, they might find a serious
> problem that you can fix and save your life.
>
> The GM columns that came with an automatic shifter will NOT lock the
> wheel when you turn off the key...IF you leave the shift linkage
> connected to the tranny!  You have to shift into park before it will let
> you turn the key far enough to lock the wheel.  What often happens,
> though, is that folks use these columns in cars with floor shifters, and
> disable the interlock feature (by leaving the shift collar in the park
> position).  In GM vehicles that came with a floor shifter, GM either had
> a linkage connecting the column to the tranny linkage to prevent this
> problem, or they had a release lever that you have to push to be able to
> turn the key all the way off and lock the wheel.  Something to check on
> your truck if you have a locking steering column!
>
> Jim F
> Big Block 59s in AZ

One thing about the NSRA safety inspections. Try to find an NSRA
Appreciation day event. They are usually open to almost all cars, and you
don't need to be an NSRA member to attend. They do this to try and attract
new people, as well as to "reward" old members who've supported them. Most
states have a number of these events each year. We're lucky to have the only
"foreign" Appreciation day in the NSRA's history. The state rep and
inspectors from Idaho come up to host the event, and have a blast doing it!
Great bunch of guys.

Side note...my '48 passed the NSRA safety last month. Our local club has an
NSRA inspector in it's ranks, and we do inspections every spring as a club
"function" before heading out to the summers runs. We have the use of a
drive-on hoist for the inspections, and there's usually lots of eyes
gathered under each vehicle as it's being inspected.
When my truck was in the air no one noticed the fatigued frame surrounding
the passenger side strut rod bracket. There were no visible signs of any
problems. 4 short days later the area around the welds gave way, and a large
piece of frame was ripped out along with the bracket. Had I been on a
highway instead of a parking lot I, or someone else, could have been killed.
As it was, I got away with replacing the strut rods with a strut rod
eliminator kit and patching the gaping hole in the frame.
Moral of the story, is things can be missed during an  inspection. Be
careful out there.

--
Alan & Karen Gingles
Calgary, Alberta