[oletrucks] Gunk

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Gunk
From: Barry Heigher <bheigher@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
After hours and hours of scraping, brushing, cussing
and having tried all of the suggestions previously
provided on removing gunk, I am finally down to bare
metal on the frame.  Well mostly, there is still the
rust to contend with and the odd spot of hardened
grease.

One thing I tried that no one else mentioned was a
propane torch. Used it only on the thickest metal
parts
such as the frame and was careful not to involve any
rubber parts. I found that with a good dose of heat
the grease turns to a charcoal like substance and is
much easier to remove. Don’t know what all the hazards
are of doing this, but I did it outside with the wind
to my back. Also purchased a cheapo sandblast gun from
Harbor Freight which with a 3hp air compressor and
some desert sand is doing OK. Slow but OK. Still hard
for me to believe just how much grime one of these old
rust buckets can conceal.

Barry
‘47  3100  Thriftmaster
Winnemucca, Nv