[oletrucks] Q's about rebuilding 3.73 posi 12 bolt

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Q's about rebuilding 3.73 posi 12 bolt
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:51:52 EDT
Hey everybody,

Swapping out the TH350 and 3.08 10 bolt in my '79 Silverado for a 700R4 and
3.73 gov-loc 12 bolt. I'm sick of "one tire fires" and no snot off the line.

The 3.73 unit I have came from a 76 chev 1/2 ton. One carrier bearing and one
axle bearing were shot so I've gotten all new axle and carrier bearings and
axle seals. I'm thinking I should pull the pinion out and check the bearings
and atleast replace the pinion seal seeing as how I've got it down this far.

The Haynes shop manual I have does not give very detailed info at all about
rebuilding rearends. I've never actually personally had a rear down this far
and neither have any of my shop groupies I rely upon for advice. I do gather,
however, that messing with the pinion nut is a delicate procedure, not to be
taken carelessly.

Can any of you tell me how I should go about removing and reinstalling the
pinion and also, I've always understood that shims are necessarry for proper
gear alignment. I've seen guys set up rearends before, I understand the
principles, I even have some prussian blue from who knows where, but I've
never done it myself.

I didn't pull any shims out of this rear when I tore it down. just two big
thick precision washers(one is ruined from the bearing spinning on it). Is
there some sorta "shim kit" I need to get to put this thing back together
right?

Please help! Thanks,

Dustin
'79 Chev 1/2 ton short wide