Re: [oletrucks] wire gauge 6V

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] wire gauge 6V
From: "J.O. Williams" <jow@techbase.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:31:35 -0600 (MDT)

<Snipped>

> I'd suggest adding a 14 gauge fusible link in the wire that goes to the +
> battery terminal, which feeds power to the whole electrical system.

Do you have a rule-of-thumb for the fusible link amperage?  Having just
fried a 20 year old 6V wiring harness, a fusible link will be the first
item I install.  From what I can gather from the GMC '51 wiring diagram
and with everything turned on, the total load should be about 55 amps
at 6V (or 27.5 amps at 12V).  True or false or what should it be?

You mention a 14 gage fusible link, I assume that 14 gauge is for 6V?
If 14 gauge is for 12V, then what gauge should it be for 6V?

It is probably for the better that the harness burned up...  All the
red insulated wires in the harness were cracking and exposing bare wire.
I was wrapping the red wires in black electrical tape to hold the
insulation on.  None of the other colored wires were having this
problem.  The harness had been purchased from JC Whitney in 1980(?)
and had been manufactured in Brazil.  When you bridge the plus side
of the amps gauge to the ground (the instrument light bulb holder)
a lot of heat, light, and smoke is produced.  Now none of the red
wires have insulation.

--
J.O.  Williams
'51 GMC