Re: [oletrucks] 6 to 12 volts

To: <Rlcokc@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 6 to 12 volts
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:45:16 -0500
It's true that a lot of 6 volt gens. put out enough voltage for a 12 volt
system, but I'm not sure of the longevity of this setup; I'm doing it now &
have had to have the gen serviced 3 times since (in less than 1000 miles).

Also, you need to put a resistor in front of your gas gauge or it won't last
more than a few seconds. And, you need to change your coil from 6 to 12
(also, may last a while with 6 volt part, but not long).

The rest of what you describe sounds ok.  For sure you won't burn up wires
since 6 volt draws twice the amperage of 12 & that is what wire is sized for
(amperage); so your wires are now oversized.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX