[oletrucks] Wheelbase Confusion

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Wheelbase Confusion
From: Mushgilday@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:46:40 EDT
  Hey group,
                    I picked up a 58 Stepside box last year for $500 to
replace the less than perfect Fleetside box that came with my  59
3200series. I was assured that a 58 box would fit on a 59 truck. Well guess
what...it don't. This amazing discovery came after the box had been
completely redone by a body mechanic. All prepped and ready for the finish
coat. AAAARRGGHH!!!

  Apparently, the wheelbase on my 59 is 124" and the 58 Stepside box is set
up for a 129" wheelbase. So what to do.....Shift the rear axle back 5" to
acommodate the box? This means moving the shackles..the frame supporting the
shackles..shifting the shock supports..extending the driveshaft...changing
the tailpipe..and replacing the brakelines.  WAAAHHHH!!!

   Have any of you shadetree mechanics attempted this task before? The
Stepside looks great, it's just crowding the front of the rear wheels and
looks more then a little funky. What is the best course of action
here..anyone? I swear this truck will never be done! Any words of wisdom
would be sincerely welcome.  Thanks

 Mike Gilday
 59 Apache 3200 Stoopside