Re: [oletrucks] Oil Line

To: "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oil Line
From: Gordon Groves <ggroves100@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:59:42 -0700
I built a '56 235 for my '51 AD 1/2 ton and after getting all put
together we fired it up and I was shocked to not be getting any oil to
the top end  after much head scratching and a diligent search in about 7
different editions of "Motors" manual we found that there is a year or
two that have a oil line in the rocker galley that goes from the bottom
left drain hole up to where the plug is usually found on all other
235's  Mine had a plug  , but the oil passage wasn't the same as others
I checked and the bottom left drain hole has threads (man , I had to
look real close to find em !) otherwise the casting looked the same as
any other 235 , Mine also had a completely worn out rocker shaft and the
no oil to the top would explain that .

I just fabbed a line from 1/4" copper tubing flanged the ends like a
break line and it has been fine since , got something like 12,000 miles
so far and Im getting plenty of oil up top ,.

A previous mechanic had removed the line at some point and that's what
broke the motor before I got it , I seem to remember that this
particular anomaly was only done in '56 but I could be wrong , I was
only able to find it mentioned in one of seven "Motors" I looked in .

I don't have any kind of tubing in with the rockers though except for
the usual curved one that feeds the main rocker shaft.

Gordon Groves

'51 1/2 ton