Re: [oletrucks] 1954 GMC VIN Number

To: "Julie or Colin" <juliecolin@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1954 GMC VIN Number
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:06:40 -0400
Colin,

    GMC parts books are tough to find. Keep watching E-Bay, although those
that do appear are often bid up to several hundred bucks. They were
dealer-only publications, very weighty because they covered all the big
trucks too. There were a number of variations, for instance one volume
covers 39-53 models, but subsequent years starting in 55 (I think) covered
that year only. If you can find one, however, it is an invaluable
restoration aid, profusely illustrated, with excellent large exploded
diagrams of all parts groups, accessories and body parts, plus such things
are cross-reference by casting/forging/stamping number to part numbers, etc.

The "C" in your VIN denotes the Oakland CA assembly plant. Not sure about
the rest of it - somewhere along the line GMC changed the format of the
VIN's and my manuals don't show any decode for the "Z" prefix.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL