[oletrucks] gasket set

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] gasket set
From: Concert Queen <Boedigheimer@planacc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:04:45 +0900
I am putting a gasket set in my 1949 GMC 228 six. I got to the head and
I see no previous sign of the intake valve stem seals or anywhere for
them to seat. The gasket kit includes them but looking in the catalog I
see Whitneys offering does not. Both kits cover  228 to 270. My shop
manual is 49 to 54 and seems to favor later models

Question is , did the 228 have the rubber intake valve stem seals  or
are these for the later engines ?