[oletrucks] New to the list

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] New to the list
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:53:21 -0400
Hello everyone.

I've been reading this list for a month or so and figured it was time to join
and introduce myself.

I own a '53 AD 3 window that I purchased through an on line auction a couple
months ago. This truck is right off a farm in the mid west and has some cancer
but not anything that a few patch panels won't cure.  The cab itself and front
sheet metal are in pretty reasonable shape however the bed is a disaster and
will have to be replaced.

I am a street rodder and not a restorer, although I appreciate an original when
I see one.  Since I'm into modifying old cars and trucks I also don't hesitate
to use, in this case, non-Chevrolet parts when the mood strikes so please
accept my humble apology for disobeying one of the cardinal commandments in
advance.

I'm going to take the advice given recently on this list and tell you what I'm
going to do to the truck and not ask everyone what I
should do,  however I'm sure I will ask "how to do" on occasion.

The truck will be powered by a mildly warmed over '56 341ci (.030 over 330)
DeSoto Hemi (sorry but I couldn't figure out how to do the D****o thing and
have you understand what I meant), hooked to a Th-350 and Camaro rear end with
3.50 gearing. The truck will be a long distance driver designed to travel to
events more than a state away.  This means air, power steering etc.   I
currently have a pro-street 41 Chevy for shows that are within a couple hundred
miles, but as some of you know driving a pro-street car for more than a couple
hours can get very tiring so this truck will be a nice change of pace.

Because I like the idea of using a modern bed with the original fenders I plan
to replace the bed with one from a relatively new F**D Ranger and graft the
stock Chevy rear fenders to the sides.  I've seen this done just recently at
the GoodGuys Columbus Nats and it looks very nice and since it has been
mentioned here I guess I'm not alone in my opinion.  It also adds a bit of
utility to the bed since I won't have to worry about messing up a beautiful bed
of oak when I throw the occasional engine block back there.

So, so much for my plans, now to the question...   I have a fair amount of
experience installing Mustang II front suspensions in street rods and they work
very well.  However, I'm wondering how this truck would handle and ride if I
just rebuilt the stock suspension, (there's something about that straight axle
that I like), added power steering and converted to disk brakes. Does anyone
out there run this setup and if so, how do you like it?

Bill "Nasty" Whittaker

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3272