Re: [oletrucks] Monthly Reminder

To: wac8019@erinet.com (Allen Coblentz)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Monthly Reminder
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:20:54 -0700 (PDT)
Allen Coblentz says:

> How 'bout these new "signature pics" that have been turning up a the bottom of
> list members e-mails?  Are these html formatted?....and the pictures, isn't
> that considered an "image"?  Hey, I'm not complaining, I'd like to use one
> also,...but I don't want to 'break the rules.'  The rules are there for a
> reason, and if this can be harmful to the list, let's clear it up before a
> problem arises.
>   They do look great, though!  If there is no problem, it would be a great
> 'identifier' for everyone on the list.

[answer CC:'d to oletrucks for everyone to get]

Here's how this list works:

You send a message to one address, oletrucks@autox.team.net

Majordomo takes your message and looks at the list membership, currently
we are at 823 members in the combined list+digest, and makes a copy of the
message for each member's email address.

Then Majordomo runs through all those copies and sends out each one.

I've been watching the traffic on "Rob's smaller list" and notice that each
signature message adds about 350-400 lines of text.  This message here that
I am sending is about 50 lines long, and pretty typical.  With the high
speed connections at most homes today this extra bandwidth (about 8 times)
may not seem like much, and on an individual basis you would be right.

However there is a very important point here: remember what I said about
how the list works?  The server for majordomo has to make 823 copies of
everything and then process those 823 messages for each single message you
make.  It's not the network speed that is the issue here, its the
processing on the system.  The server is also running 60 other lists with
similar user bases.

So lets do a bit of math here.....

                Allow images to list            Keep list text only
Message length          450                             60
* 80 characters         36000                           4800
* 823 members           29628000                        3950400

Quick interjection of a question here:  which would you rather download to
get to oletrucks information, a 29 megabyte file or a 4 megabyte file?

* 60 mailing lists      1777680000 (1.8 Gigabytes)      237024000 (234 Meg)

Another quick interjection: now which file would you rather download?

End of math lesson.

Remember that many of the images are actually much larger, like in the
35000-40000 line length, or roughly 100 times the size I was using in the
example.  I'll leave that equation to the reader.

So to make a long answer short:  yes those nifty image sigs are HTML, and
yes they are Images, and yes they are verbotten on Oletrucks.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com