Re: [oletrucks] Ways to guess/rule out engine sizes?

To: Kevin Pennel <napco4x4-owner@onelist.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ways to guess/rule out engine sizes?
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1904 19:24:27 -0500
Mike,
The 216-235-261s were all the same basic size externally, however the
later (54-up) engines may appear slightly bigger because of the squared
off valve cover.

It could be the show truck had a late model 250 which is not as "bulky"
looking as the 235.

It could also be that your truck has had a GMC engine put in it. This is
not that uncommon for a work truck, especially if it was owned by a
garage or junkyard. GMC engines are visibly larger than chevy engines
for similar cubic inches and they also made gas engines up to 503s, but
I don't think anything bigger than a 270 would fit without MAJOR
modifications. To see an ad with the various engines go to
http://www.strato.net/~jrdorsey/gmc/

I think Jack mentioned casting numbers in another post, they are by far
the best way to positively ID an engine.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL