Re: [oletrucks] Plating Process

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Plating Process
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:41:47 -0700
>I noticed Eastwood has a Zinc electroplating process and a Black Oxide
>process

Deve, I have used both, and they each have some disadvantages, although on
the whole I like them.

I have found that neither is as good as a pro job.  The zinc plate will
appow rust to form if not clear coated.  The oxide allows rust if you don't
properly seal them.  But if you do things correctly, they both look pretty
good.  I particularly like the oxide, but they didn't use this finish on our
trucks.  Search plating on the net and you'll find other home plating
outfits, perhaps of better quality.

I think home plating is rather slow.  You can get bulk professional plating
done in bins for small parts.  The results are not as good as separately
dipped parts but are probably better than home plated parts.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)