[oletrucks] 180 vs higher temp thermostats

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 180 vs higher temp thermostats
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:02:02 EDT
Hey everyone,

Just tore down and built the 350 in my newer rig, a 79 silverado, and I was
wondering about the thermostat. I've always put 180 thermostats in
everything, but a friend tells me, and I've read in the instructions that
came with my pistons, that the higher temp thermostat you run, the less
cylinder wall wear you will have. Well, not necessary less wear, but less of
a ridge at the top and more even wear. I understand the factor that
contributes most to the cylinder ridges is the expansion of the cylinder wall
inwards at the top due to the heat building up in the top deck of the block.
It makes sense that running a lower temp thermostat will cause more
temperature differential between the middle and upper areas of the cylinder
wall therefore more wear at the top. My question is What will I sacrifice
running a higher temp thermostat and what temperature would you guys suggest?

The engine is:
balanced '70 350
+.030"
comp 270 (224 deg. single pattern)