Re: [oletrucks] Attaching clips to wheels

To: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Attaching clips to wheels
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:24:26 -0500
Tom-

It really wasn't as complicated as it seems.  The hub caps fit pretty snug
without the clips, just placing them on the rim, so as long as the clips
hold them, the rim itself keeps them in alignment.

I used duct tape to get an idea where the clips would fit (on the raised
portion of the wheel), held the hubcap up to it and made sure it would snap
down correctly once I had it attached.  I started out by fastening 2 clips
on the first wheel, made sure they were right, and placed the other two at
the same distance from the edge of the center hole of the wheel.  I mounted
4 per wheel.

I used a punch to mark the spot, and drilled the hole.  Also found that
laying the clip on a hard surface (my driveway) and hitting with a hammer
enabled me to expand them as necessary.  What you want is for them to be
tight when the hubcaps are in place, but not so far to the outside that the
caps lock inside and not outside the clip.  Once they are mounted, if the're
a little loose or a little tight, they can be removed, hammered to expand or
shorten, then screwed back on.  I had a tendency to try to mount them a
little close to the center, so watch that.

I mounted the front ones with the wheels on the truck, but after pulling the
back wheels off for mounting, I found it to be much easier that way.  A word
of advice- Don't use a ratchet or electric drill.  Those screws will break
off.  I had a couple break off, but since I was using 4 per wheel, I just
moved over to the next hump where I could drill a new hole.  I used hex head
self threading screws with a screwdriver type socket wrench.

Let me know if you have any problems along the way.  I'll be glad to help.

Smokey Culver
'50 3600 5-window (mine)
'58 Apache (hers)
League City, Texas