Re: [oletrucks] Another request for interior photos

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Another request for interior photos
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:24:01 -0500
Tim,

I have installed speakers (61/2" woofer, with 1" tweeter, separates),  I
first made brackets to attach to the underside of the lower dash as close to
the kick panels as possible, I then took 18 gauge sheet metal ($10) and
formed it to fit the area, in a tissue box configuration (open in the back).
The open part of the box goes towards the firewall, cut the speaker opening
and drill the holes on the back of the tissue box shape, which will be the
front of your speaker box.  Mount the box to the lower part of the dash and
kick panel, anchor and caulk all metal to metal areas of contact with the
box you made ( to decrease the chances of vibration and distortion), connect
your wires (I solder the connections prior to mounting the speaker, so you
have no connections that will come loose), then mount the speaker.  Use
batting, you can get this in any craft store or Walmart, to fill the area
behind the speaker, thus the need for the tissue box shape, and viola a nice
looking speaker box that can be painted to match your interior.

The tweeters can be mounted to the middle area where the original speaker
was, just make brackets to mount to the back of the dash,  make sure you
angle the tweeters towards the door slightly with the mounts not directly
towards your head, otherwise you get all the highs and your sound will be
"tinny".  You can use old plastic kick panels from another car, instead of
metal mounts here as the tweeters will not cause alot of vibration.  An easy
way to disguise this area is to buy thin black material  (I think it was
$1.50) and use automotive spray adhesive, spray the inside of your dash area
where you plan on mounting the cloth.  Be careful to smooth the cloth as you
go, starting from the top.  Then trim the cloth to fit after you have the
cloth mounted to the dash.  And there you have a professional looking
installation on a working man's budget of less than  $20.00.

Jon 50 3100