[oletrucks] Mechanics Help Needed

To: "OleTrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Mechanics Help Needed
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:59:00 -0500
I am putting this fire damaged 235 (1954) together and am in the process of
cleaning all the parts for re-assembly. The problem is, these parts went
thru extreme heat and the camshaft and the crankshaft as well as the piston
rods and push rods have a very hard glaze on them. The lifters had to be
hammered out (I was careful to use a hardwood dowel) and were so tight it
took me a long time to remove.

Question is, can I sandblast using #1 sand (very fine) the crank and the cam
and all the other parts that used to have a mirror shine to them? After I am
finished doing that, they wont be shiny anymore but they WILL be clean. I am
new to engine rebuilding and so if this is a dumb question it wont be the
last. If sandblasting is a no-no, then tell me how to get this glaze (and I
mean a really really carbonized, tough glaze) off of all the parts.

A side note: I already sandblasted the engine block, then re-tapped all the
bolt threads, ridge reamed and honed the cylinders, and WOW! What a
beautiful engine block. Took me about 3 days but well worth it since I can
visibly see that this block has no cracks or other problems.

Let me know soon! Thanks again!!

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400