Re: [oletrucks] Muncie casting numbers

To: "oletrucks@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Muncie casting numbers
From: Gordon Groves <ggroves100@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:23:54 -0700
In case anybody gives a crap here is what I found out on the Muncie four
speed .

The four on the floor W/ a granny low 1st gear was used up till '67 ('67
was the only year W/ a neutral safety switch hook up) and is a Muncie
SM420 . Most of the web links people sent me are for the POST '67
Muncie's that were used in cars (camaro et. ) From what I can gather
they all have the same gear ratios and only differ in the back cover (or
bearing retainer cover) for use W/ a torque tube or an open drive line
and some of the heavier trucks had a E brake right on the drive shaft.

With that in mind Im just going to have the one I picked up re built
with new brass and gaskets and I'll use the open drive line bearing
retainer cover from the gear box that's in my truck now ( that has about
1/32-1/16 " side play in the out put yoke! think the bearing is bad ?  )
and I should be in business in no time

Thanx to everybody who dug up info for me .

Gordon Groves
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 IHC Travelall