Re: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Condensor & points Question

To: "Woods E. Houghton" <woodecindy@caverns.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Condensor & points Question
From: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:13:35 -0600 (MDT)
Points are not supposed to spark.  The points essentially short out the
secondary coil ( the inner coil, not connected to the spark plug.) in the
coil ( the coil is really two coils, one wound around, but not touching
the other).  When they points open, the constant current that was flowing
through points has no where to go except through the secondary coil, this
rapid change in current flow causes a large E field in the secondary
coil, which induces a current in the primary coil.  the ratio of winding
of the two coils creates a high voltage potential on one side of the
primary coil. This gives your spark.  the charging characteristic of the
condensor, which is really just a capacitor, helps to insure that the
secondary coil is not "overwhelmed" which would leave no where for current
to flow except back across the points.  this way the condesnor prevents
the points from arcing (sparking).  It doesn't always work perfectly
though, that's why sometimes you may see a small spark across your
points. If so, check the gap and get a new condesor.
-alfie