[oletrucks] IFS/To chop or not to chop

To: "OLETRUCKS" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <cramey@dashlink.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] IFS/To chop or not to chop
From: "Kevin" <kevin@tbaytel.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:32:18 -0700
That's why I chose to change the WHOLE frame.

Kevin Stieh
50 Chev Panel
53 Chev 1/2 Ton
Thunder Bay
Ontario
Canada
http://www.megspace.com/cars/kevin/Truckpage.html.

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:20:09 -0500
From: "Claude" <cramey@dashlink.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] IFS

I was looking someday to convert to IFS but am undecided. I hate to chop off
the front of the frame for all the reasons stated previously. But, while I
like the thought of keeping the frame intact and welding/bolting on an IFS,
I don't think I'd like having a rack & pinion with tubular A arms on my big
ol' truck (not a strength issue). I want the GM A arms with the GM gear box
and all the other GM stuff to go with it. I like the looks better and I just
think that's what belongs on the TRUCK. But, I don't want to cut my frame. I
am told that the Pacer thing does not work as easy on a '58-'59 (frame
width). I guess I will be using the old straight axle for a while.
While I'm on the subject of straight axle, Someone mentioned earlier they
used 1/2" of toe-in. I have all the slack/play out of my steering (power
steering conversion) and it drives pretty good. I've been meaning to try
more toe-in for that straight ahead feel on the highway. This may be a good
tip, haven't tried it yet.