Re: [oletrucks] Troubleshooting tip

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Troubleshooting tip
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:26:22 -0400
Since the plug is after the wire and you're not getting good constant
flashing when connected to the wire, most likely problem is before the
plug. I've seen a crack in the distributor cap cause problems just like
this. you could also swap the plug wire between a cylinder that is firing
correctly with one that is not and rule out the plug wire. If problem not
locate yet, you'll have to go into the inside of the distributor. Regarding
the crack-you may or maynot be able to visibly see a crack so watch out...
 wayne

>  Today, while continuing to track down the source of my 235 idle and
>acceleration hesitation/ miss, I was checking the timing using a timing
>light.  Previously, I had used my vacuum gauge and my ear to set timing.  I
>was using a Sears induction light.  Anyway, I noticed that the light did not
>appear to be flashing all the time, missing a flash now and then at idle.  I
>of course had it hooked to #1 cylinder for the test.  My first thought was
>that the timing light was malfunctioning.  I hooked the light to my 97 S-10
>V6 and it never missed a flash, so the light was good.
>  Back to the 235.  Same thing and when I revved the gas, the timing light
>skipped a few more flashes that coincided with the hesitation.  I moved the
>indication pickup to each plug wire to see how each responded.  #2 flashed
>each and every time, #3 only flashed about half the time, etc.  After
>checking all the plug wires, it dawned on me that if no current were flowing
>thru the plug wire, (meaning the plug isn't firing) then the timing light
>won't flash.  I went and got a new set of plugs, but since I was late for a
>wedding, I haven't had a chance to install them to see if the idle/run
>problem is fixed.
>  What I wanted to share, is that your timing light can be used for more
than
>just timing the engine.  Use it as a troubleshooting aid to see if each
>cylinder is firing consistently as it should.  Try it out next time.
>
>Mike Klepp
>'48 3100
>Wichita Falls, TX
>
>PS  Doug and Bill, your patches are on the way.

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup
LaGrange Ga.
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne