[oletrucks] 216 oil pressure

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 216 oil pressure
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:20:50 -0400
To those that are questioning the proper 216 oil pressure.  Book pressures
are supposed to be 14.7 psi at operating speed and around 7 psi at idle.
Remember that your oil pressure gauge is between 40 and 50 years old and in
reality will only show that there is pressure there.  Therefore if you are
concerned pick up a good industrial quality pressure gauge scaled from 0 to
approximately 40 psi and hook it up in tandem to your dash gauge.  Start old
"Bessie" up and check your gauge pressure at idle, 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm.
this will cover, more or less, the operating range of the engine and you can
compare the two gauges.

My 216 has about 12,000 miles on it since rebuild and I get 15 psi at road
speed and about 6 psi at idle.  I would also suggest that you run straight
30W oil in the engine as it does not thin out like the multi-grades do and
the oil pressure stays up better in the heat.

Hope this helps.

Keep on Truckin

Mad Mac

52 Chev 1300 - A Cannuck Truck