Re: [oletrucks] rear leaf spring donor....(thanks)

To: "Armijo, Manuel L" <manuel.l.armijo@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear leaf spring donor....(thanks)
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:16:14 -0600
"Armijo, Manuel L" wrote:

> Thanks to all for the info on the springs.  I've narrowed it down, so I'll
> be at the wrecking yards looking/measuring underneath dodge caravans and
> ford explorers....Chilton's shows the Caravan mounts are bolted on, not sure
> about the Explorer's...(don't worry Jim, I'll keep American steel under that
> All-American chassis)!
> (I may be the "cheapest" on this list.  Divorce isn't excactly kind to a
> guy's wallet).
> Manuel.

Manuel,

I'm the one who used the Caravan springs in my '48. I loved the fact that the
Caravan spring hangers unbolted from the van, but the springs themselves leave a
lot to be desired. They don't have a great load rating, plus they tend to wrap
up under acceleration. I had to use some traction bars to eliminate that
problem. If I had to do it again, I'd use the Caravan hangers with different
springs, something with more capacity and from a rear wheel drive vehicle. If
you need any other info on this please feel free to drop me a line.

Alan

--
Alan & Karen Gingles
Calgary, Alberta