Re: [oletrucks] 46 Oil Filter

To: "Ole Trucks" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 46 Oil Filter
From: "W&D" <haist@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:10:04 -0700
That handle is for removing the filter element.  It pulls straight up and
off the center post / tube. It's a replaceable cartridge.  Sounds like it
should have been replaced a long time ago.  If the canister is as gummed up
as you describe, you may want to remove the assembly and soak it in solvent
and clean it thoroughly before replacing the filter.  When you get the new
element, it should include a new gasket for the lid, also.

You may want to check the archives for discussion on oil filters on the old
engines.  Some like them but I'm a  believer in the school of thought that
says that the filer robs a little of the minimal oil pressure, filters only
part of the total oil (partial flow) and an oil change of once every 1,000
miles with no filter is better.

As to color, you'll find that in the archives as well.

Happy truckin'.

<><
Whitney Haist
Orinda, CA