[oletrucks] proportioning valves was Differential Problem

To: "Oletrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] proportioning valves was Differential Problem
From: "Joseph Szwed" <szwedj@viagate.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:44:55 -0500
Someone else might know more about this but I used to have a Toyota pickup
and what they did was mount a little proportioning valve to the rear housing
with a linkage of some sort to the bottom of the bed.  The way it worked was
if the bed was empty and you got on the brakes hard, as the bed lifted up
due to the braking forces it lessened the amount of brake pressure applied
to the rear wheels.  What was nice about it was if you had a load in the
back and you had to stop quick you retained full pressure to the brakes.
Simple little system as I recall.  I don't know if its still used on newer
trucks now-a-days with anti-lock systems.  Mine was a 1987 model.
Might be something to look in to.

Joe Szwed
Stockton, NJ
50 Chevy/ 51 GMC (neither running)