Re: [oletrucks] Power steering using original AD steering column.

To: "CHARLES A. CLARK" <CHARLES_A._CLARK@HUD.GOV>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Power steering using original AD steering column.
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:44:57 -0800
>About a year ago there was a discussion about power steering in AD trucks.
Jack
>Halton said he did the conversion using the original steering column with a
>lower bearing from a Toro (riding mower?).  Has anyone else done this swap?

I saw a how to article in a Lowrider Classics magazine (some very nice work,
by the way, for those who scoff at lowriders) which was basically about
installing a Chubby Chassis IFS.

They showed a very nice little arm shich bolted to the top of the frame rail
and ended in a ring which fit around the bottom of the cut-off steering
column.  It was sort of like the bottom of an air cleaner which fits over
the carb neck and tightens down with a screw, except the it also had a lip
to limit forward movement of the column.

I called Chubby Chassis http://www.chubbychassis.com/ChubbyChassis.htm
to inquire about getting one of these, but they acted like they'd never
heard of it.  I see from their website that they are a dealer for Ididit
steering columns now, so that may explain things.  Anyway, it looked like
something one could fabricate out of 3/4 in rod, some 3/16 tube and flat
steel.

Regards,

Grant S.
Los Angeles