Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer needle

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer needle
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:22:41 -0800
Keep in mind the mechanism in the speedometer is magnetically driven (while
the odometer is mechanically driven) - look at the round casing in the back
when you have taken it apart.  With time, the unit loses it's calibration
(magnetically) and can read close to true, be way off, bounce around, or
just smile back at you.  Chevrolet put out a technical manual back then for
recalibration that used a mechanism to "re-magnetize" the unit for a correct
reading.  There are still folks out there that have these, and with
reconditioning, should bring the unit back to true (but is big bucks for
some reason).  I had to trial test 3 speedo units before I found one that
would read over 55 mph (weak magnet or something) and it's still about 5 mph
off, but close enough for being 50 years old.

Also, if the unit has previously been disassembled and if the casing,
magnet, and spring have been reassembled without the EXACT (correct) number
of turns, then it will improperly read zero (i.e., won't zero out AND will
either read way high or way low).  Can speak from experience here.....(but I
got it eventually).  This process is how you figure out where to "set" the
needle to zero.

Food for thought.  Good luck.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100