Re: [oletrucks] rearend size (dont laugh!!!) and "easy 5 bolt"

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rearend size (dont laugh!!!) and "easy 5 bolt"
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:26:12 -0800
Deve,

I did that swap by using the 54 rearend in the past also.  A little hint if
you happen to do that again would be to rotate the spring around and switch
the eye bolts on the leaf spring.  This will position the axle further back
in the fender opening and you might not have to make up the spacer bracket.

My Uncle was also telling me that when he wanted taller gears in the rearend
for highway driving he pulled the torque tube rearend and springs from a
Chevy car and installed the complete assembly in the truck.  I'll have to
get more specific details from him and include that on the page as well.

Setting up a newer rearend in the AD's really isn't that hard but like you
say, you have measuring, torching and do some welding.    Another advantage
of the newer rearend is the self adjusting brake system.

I'll keep working on the rearend conversion page every chance I get so that
other AD truck owners won't have to struggle and bust their knuckles like I
did in learning what works.

Joe Garcia
Yuba City, CA
1950 Chevrolet 3100