[oletrucks] Oletrucks Off Topic List

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Oletrucks Off Topic List
From: SnappyDog1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 03:57:44 EST
There's been trouble in paradise lately, trouble enough that we've lost some
valuable members and threatened the very existence of one of our most
important old truck resources: the Oletrucks list itself.

There are a lot of members who feel (and rightly so) that the purpose of this
list is made quite clear in the line that appears at the bottom of every post
to this group:

"oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959."

Looking over past postings to the list, the source of friction that
occasionally arises is almost always related to off topic posts.  Time and
time again I read the complaint: "Let's put this thread to rest and get back
to old trucks!"  Yet almost every time, that sentiment is preceded by the
poster's own opinion on the subject he wants to put to rest, prompting an
additional flow of opinions from others.
I remember one post that stated:

>  if you can't answer the question that is asked and
>  only the question keep your opinions to yourself.
>  This site isn't an opinion poll

Yet there are some who don't mind hearing the opinions of others on this
list, some who simply cannot contain their own opinions, and certainly some
who are comfortable enough with their delete buttons to not mind picking and
choosing among those opinions.

Now I know that this may be a little like closing the barn doors after the
cows are gone, but my proposal to my fellow list members is this:

An off-topic list for Oletrucks members.

Want to go off topic?  Take it to the off topic list!  Has an on-topic thread
strayed too far from the topic or become redundant?  Take it to the off topic
list!

Is such an idea feasible?  That will be up to you, the members, to determine
by your participation.  To this purpose I have created the Oletrucks Off
Topic List at:
oletrucks_off_topic@egroups.com
This new list is in no way meant to compete with the oletrucks list but to
augment it, and by cleaning house create an environment that will encourage
the return of our recently departed members.

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105