[oletrucks] rim restoration, powdercoating, sandblasting

To: old-chevy-truck@egroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] rim restoration, powdercoating, sandblasting
From: Holly and Chris Mills <scmills@tntech.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:15:44 -0600
>The best way to coat them is powder coat.  Barring that, any good
>automotive paint and primer system should work well.

Just picked up a set of rims (8 of them - 6 VW van and 2 trailer) and two
fenders for my car dolly. I had them sandblasted and then powder coated.

I wasn't sure who did this but was supervised to find that in my small town
both services were easy and affordable.

The sandblasting was done by the local monument company. That is a cemetery
head stone company. The charge me roughly $5 a wheel. I always tell them
that time isn't a big deal and to blast when they have time to get to it.
Takes the pressure off and I think it keeps the price low.

The powder coating is done by a local fabricator that powder coats on the
side. They charge me $40 per hour. The owner advised me that as long as my
parts require the same color that she can do up to about 16 wheels for the
same $40. The hourly fee takes into account setup and cleanup so if you
want another color, it'll cost you another $40.

They offer a BUNCH of colors and shades. I have mostly used grey, white and
black for my pile of parts (VW and other). The quality is very good and
rivals paint (if I was doing the work). She told me they can also do a
clear coat if you want more shine or depth. Again that is considered a
color change so I try to keep the lots big. They have also charged my
partial hours so it's not bills based on multiples of $40... <grin>

It's not cheap, but is better than I can do without a sandblaster at home.
I'll be powder coating everything I have to do on my VW's that requires
black and such. I'll do the bodywork myself with regular paint of course.

Just thought I'd pass on my experiences with powder coating for folks that
have never tried it.

You can buy kits from Eastwood but I don't think you could beat the cost of
a commercial size outfit like we have locally.

Check your phone book and ask around. I'll bet you have one where you live too.

CHRIS in Tennessee
scmills@tntech.edu
ICQ: 5944649

'78 Westy (maybe some CIS injection,Corvair, turbos --- hmmmm...)
'65 Beetle (Type IV powered)
'99 CR-V 5 speed
'49 Chevy 3100 Pickup
'81 Honda CB900C