Re: [oletrucks] Air Filter - paint and how to fill

To: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Air Filter - paint and how to fill
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:57:18 -0800
>I am only spraying out of shake cans so my question is what do I do to make
>the paint stick.  I have cleaned this off the best I can however I am
>concerned that it is still oil covered.

Wash and wash again, Jim.  Take it into the kitchen when your wife is out
and scrub it with soap and water till it is clean.  I did a couple of them
last summer, and I began by soaking them in a bucket of gasoline (outside,
not in the kitchen) and sloshing the gas in the filter element real good.
This got rid of the oil, then into the sink for soap and hot water to get
rid of the gas.  Followed up with some sandpaper, about 100 grit, to make a
good surface for paint.

Even with rattle cans, you can buy a decent primer.  This will help your top
coat adhere.  You can even buy sandable primer in spray cans, which will
give you a nicer finish once you sand down to 300 or so.  Use a flexible
sanding block.

Alternatively, since the hard work on a small part like that is getting it
stripped and ready for paint, why not take it to a professional painter once
you have prepped it?  Their charge may not be much more than the cost of the
rattle cans, since they're just going to use a little paint they've already
got sitting in stock.

>WHAT SHOULD BE PAINTED
>I think the top unit should have the top painted and around the sides down
>to where the filter starts - but nothing else.

That;s right.  I'd go an inch or so below the line of the outside piece, as
you don't see the metal that way when it's all together.

>I think the bottom unit should only be painted on the outside and I should
>NOT spray the INSIDE of this filter.

Yes, right.

>Would the paint be broken down by the oil and cause a problem inside the
>filter element?

Yup.  Also the gas fumes coming up from the carb do quick work on the paint.
Leave the inside bare.

>WHAT OIL TO USE IN THE BATH
>What is the correct oil to use in this bath?

Regular engine oil.  30 weight or so.  I guess if you're in New Hampshire,
you wouldn't want it so viscous that it congeals in cold weather, but it
probably doesn't matter that much.

Regards,

Grant S.