[oletrucks] RE: Air filter...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: Air filter...
From: Survyvr1@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:59:04 -0600 (CST)
Jim,
I rehab'd my oil bath filter as follows:
1) Stripped paint with "Mar-Hyde" rattle-can paint stripper,
2) Degreased and prep'd metal with the "Mar-Hyde"-"Total Prep" (think
this is correct name),
3) a-Masked the top section, from bottom up to one inch(or so) below rim
of the bottom/outer section,
    b- Masked the bottom section from just below the inside rim
roll(don't have to worry about corrosion on bare metal inside because of
the oil "filter"),
4) Applyed "Martin-Seymour" (?- get at NAPA)
self-etching primer to top and bottom,
5) Final coat was "Temple"(?- get at body shop supply) Semi-gloss black
"Under hood" paint.
6) Check the felt "gasket" inside the bottom section where it mounts to
the air horn, mine was shot, remove if necessary with an awl to get all
the pieces out, and to replace(I didn't have any luck with finding the
felt) check at FLAPs, got mine at NAPA, for rubber "O"-ring gasket for
contemporary thermostat installation,
they have "square" edge and you'll need two to get the height, but I
found the correct diameter and they fit in there snug and will provide a
good seal,
7) Fill with SAE 50 wt. according to the manual, lighter in winter if
you choose to. I had a hard time locating the 50 wt., but finally found
at a FLAPS that had it as a "Racing" oil.
Hope this helps-Steve

Steve Douglas
51 3100
Lincoln, NE