[oletrucks] Connectivity or maybe conductivity

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Connectivity or maybe conductivity
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:18:56 -0500
Miq

I have undergone a similar problem with my 52 Chev with the 216.  My truck
has been upgraded to 12 volts and the ignition coil is fed through a ballast
resistor.  If the battery is the least little bit weak the truck is a bear
to start with the starter but usually bump starts in a few feet.  It would
appear that the hard starting with the cold weather may quite possibly be
due to the extra power required to turn the engine over and therefore a
little less power to the ignition.  The ballast  resistor drops the ignition
voltage feeding the coil and through trial and tribulations and a little bit
of what if I try this I came up with the idea one day.  I put a jumper wire
across the ballast resistor to see what would happen and low and behold hit
the starter pedal, the engine cranked a few time and started.  I immediately
shut the engine off and took the jumper off then tried to start the engine.
It would not go.  Put the jumper back on and started the engine no problem.
With the engine running I removed the jumper and the engine continued to run
without problem.  Drove the truck to town, about 20K, shut it off, did some
business, jumped in turned on the key hit the starter and away it wen.
Battery had charged up somewhat on the trip to town and had the oomph that
it needed.  When I got home I got a spring loaded single throw - single pole
toggle switch and mounted it under the dash wiring one side to the power
side of the ballast resistor and the other side to the coil side of the
ballast resistor.  Now when I have a problem starting all I do is pull the
switch while cranking and away it goes.  Once she fires up I let go of the
switch and away I go.

Hope this helps you. I know how frustrating it can be when it appears that
there is lots of battery but no go on the start yet a 10 foot push has it up
and running.

To all list members Merry Christmas and all the best for a Happy and
Prosperous New Year

Mac

52 Chev 1300 - In the garage for the winter.  BYW Temp this week, SE
Manitoba,has been in the minus 25 - 30 C range.

.