Re: [oletrucks] re: Blast Cabinet..thick cardboard works too!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] re: Blast Cabinet..thick cardboard works too!
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:42:37 EST
    I will mention it again, as this topic came up before...I've used some
extremely HEAVY DUTY cardboard that was used to ship multi-kilo items, the
kind that is 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, as a temporary blast cabinet on a dock.So
as long as you dont' aim the nozzle right AT the cardboard, it will last for
a long while. I had thought about making a temporary home unit that would
fold up out of the way, but since I found an old slant-top icemaker, I've
used that to make a useable blast cabinet for small items up to car rim size,
etc. It's got a plexi view port thru the former stainless steel foldup  lid,
I've cut holes for the gloves, but never got any further , but now that I
have a home, I will finish that project, and have it hooked up to use. It
also has an internal light with a lense cover, so that takes care of the
lighting problem, :) . You can even make them out of plywood, if you aren't
planning to start a business blasting metal. Nothing beats a professionally
designed and properly engineered product, but if you must ( or want to ) go
the cheap route, it's out there, you just have to be innovative about the
material acquistion. :) I LOVE dumpster diving, maybe that turns people off,
but I love to score great reuseable items that other businesses throw out and
I find I can put to use instead of spending $500 of my hard-earned dollars to
get a prof unit that won't be used much anyway. Just a thought if you happen
to cruise around behind restaurants and hotels, and find some old equipment
thrown out. :)

 Jerry Casper