Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer trouble

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer trouble
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:25:48 -0600 (CST)
Doesn't sound too serious.  You have a speedometer cable that is either
kinked or starting to fray.  It grabs on the housing and twists up /
releases making the needle jump.

You didn't say what year, but on the TF trucks, new universal speedometer
cables are available from just about any auto parts store.  You just cut
them to length and replace the old one.  Also check the cable sheath for
sharp bends or kinks.  If there are any, a couple of nylon cable ties in
the right place should relieve them.

Don't forget to lube the cable as it goes in.  Also, I used JB weld to hold
the new cable end in place instead of using the crimping tool that came
with the cable.  Also, to pull the old one out and put the new one in, it
worked a lot better to disconnect at the tranny, pull the sheath out, and
lay it straight over the radiator support to give the cable a straight shot
in.  Also, you will need to feed the cable in from the speedometer end.

Don't know how much of this applies to AD trucks, but they shouldn't be too
different.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN