Re: [oletrucks] rear end install kit for 50 3100

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end install kit for 50 3100
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:04:01 -0800
Hi Rob,

>i just picked up a 10 bolt posi rearend out of a 78 trans am that i am going
>to put in to my 50 3100. brother's sells an instalation kit for it that runs
>$140 or thereabouts. I was wondering if any of you know of someone else that
>sells one cheaper.
Just looked in a Chevy Duty catalog and they have a "kit" to do that for,
you guessed it $140. This probably indicates they're coming from the same
source.
If you're careful you can reuse the pads off the rear by carefully cutting
them off if they in fact need to be moved. I don't have any experience with
this rear as far as spacing goes. I used a 77 Chevy 1/2 ton rear in our 49
this past year. I wasn't (actually didn't try to be) careful when I removed
the original 77 spring pads, since I had purchased a pair form a spring
shop for $8.00 a side ($16+tax) I redrilled the hole for the locator head 1
3/4" forward to locate the axle close to center in the wheel well. Bought a
lowering kit from parts house (Pep Boys) for less than $30 and used the U
bolts with the original lower plates.
Less than $50 total cost.
"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

<http://home.utm.net/bfischer>http://home.utm.net/bfischer      e-mail
-->bfischer@utm.net