[oletrucks] Windlace problems

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Windlace problems
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:12:13 -0500
Dave D., a list member in Los Angeles, has been trying to post a message to
the list, but is having problems getting through.  Dave and his son are
restoring a '50 GMC and are stuck on a problem, so I agreed to post his
message for him.  PLEASE respond to  Dave or to the list......not me.
Dave's post is listed below........
Tom Caperton
47-2nd 3100....in Whiteville, NC
tcape@weblnk.net

Hi:
My 16-year old son and I are restoring a 1950 GMC pickup 5-window cab
model, as his first "car." A problem we've encounter is this: We ordered
all the new rubber for the truck. The rubber windlace that surrounds the
door opening is supposed to slide into a metal channel or track that runs
'round the opening. Unfortunately, some clod has obviously removed what is
a welded-on part some time in the truck's past (why?), and we cannot buy a
channel, as it is not a "separate" part. OK, it gets stranger. Supplied
with the truck when we bought it was a bunch of parts. In the stack were
two channels that fit the openings, but obviously was never welded to a
truck cab, but instead, has oblong holes where it seems it was screwed on.
Now I understand the 1947-1949 trucks had a different 'track' or whatever
holds on the windlace (which is different for the earlier years in the
catalogs). My question is: is what I have the earlier channel, perhaps
bought by a previous owner to solve the problem of the original one that
was removed? The channel I have does not have a deep enough "C" in it to
hold the rubber I bought in place. Was the earlier channel shallower? And
if so, how did it ever hold the rubber in place? Any insight would be MUCH
appreciated! Thanks,
Dave
Los Angeles, CA
dave@juniorbaseball.com